Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

We celebrated with these tasty adult beverages.

IMG_2877

When we realized our favorite Mexican holiday was upon us, we decided it was high time we reinstate an old favorite of ours: making margaritas! We used to enjoy making and drinking them quite frequently B.C. (before children); what a shame that our margarita glasses have sat on a shelf unused probably since we moved to Richmond! Not to worry—I remedied this by taking a trip to the liquor store today with my two children in tow (of course) to purchase tequila and triple sec. We added limeade to the shaker and salt to the rims, and voila—deliciousness in a glass!

There was also some of this:

IMG_2876

Tacos and guacamole, the latter being a specialty of the hubs. So so good!

And while we’re on the topic of food, we’ve been enjoying this too:

IMG_2872

A giant cookie to celebrate that Philip finished up a final presentation yesterday and is nearly done with this year of dental school (hard to believe!). I used my very favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, and while I’d never made it in a giant form like this, it turned out great, and we are not so slowly chipping away at it. I will say that the one downside of making one big old cookie is that each time you pass by it in the kitchen it seems like not such a bid deal at all to take just one more sliver. Those little slivers add up, my friends!

Here’s the recipe. I highly recommend it!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 c. (2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces

3/4 c. sugar

1 c. packed light brown sugar

2 eggs (I used egg replacer)

1 T. (tablespoon) vanilla extract

3 c. flour

3/4 t. (teaspoon) salt

3/4 t. baking soda

3 c. semisweet chocolate chips

1 c. chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (optional)

Beat butter and sugars in large bowl with mixer until creamed, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended, about 1 minute. Whisk flour, salt and baking soda in separate bowl. Stir into creamed mixture with wooden spoon until combined (mixture will be thick). {This part will most surely give you a good arm work-out!} Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using).

Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for about 9-10 minutes. For crisper cookies bake at 375 for 10 minutes (I don’t like mine this way, so I’ve never done it.) Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes.

{For my giant cookie, I baked it for about 20 minutes, and for the last 5 minutes or so I turned the oven back to 325. I don’t know if this was necessary; I was just worried it was going to overcook on the edges, and an overcooked cookie is one of my least favorite things!}

-Recipe taken from Through the Years, A Lifetime of Good Food by Bettye Rabb VanderVeen. (a great cookbook written by the mother of a family friend.)

And because I can’t leave out our favorite littlest Worthington, here you go:

IMG_2859

Who doesn’t love that kissable double chin?! I had to capture a picture of her in her sweet little onesie that was made for her by her buddy Anna’s mama (Thanks Shannon!). She’s busting out of it by now, but we sure have loved it!

1 comment:

  1. Anne! You are so sweet to comment on my blog and I would love to be your momma friend - I can certainly whine with the best of them : ) Let's get together soon if you're up for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my little blog! I love to hear from you.