Monday, July 27, 2009

A very happy birthday

Yesterday was Anne's birthday. Although she was reluctant to leave 26 behind and embrace a new year, she proceeded to 27 with grace and elegance. I think her birthday gift eased the transition.

For the last several months Anne has been enthusiastically following the blog of Erika McPherson Powell, the exquisitely talented designer and owner of Urban Grace Interiors. Home ownership has bestowed a renewed interest in decorating upon my wife, and Erika's designs have inspired Anne to experiment with new styles around our house.

Anne's most pressing design dilemma has been choosing a rug for our living room. Sometimes it is the last thing she mentions before falling asleep. Countless internet searches have proved fruitless in locating the appropriate carpet, though its image occasionally haunts her dreams.

In hopes of easing Anne's weary soul, Wade and I decided to give her a gift certificate for a consultation with Erika. I revealed the gift over lunch at one of her favorite places in the world: the Whole Foods Market in Fair Lakes, Virginia.

I had originally hoped to allow Wade to present her with the card, but he quickly placed the small envelope in his favorite storage location.


Fortunately I was able to swap it out for a substitute item without incident.


The following sequence depicts Anne's reaction to her gift.




She would later call it "one of the best things to ever happen to me." When I asked if our wedding day was on that list, she seemed evasive. I'm afraid this may have bumped it from the top 5.
Hope you had a wonderful day, Annie. Happy 27th birthday.



23 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Anne!!! Can't wait to help you find a rug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting! I too am struggling with with a living room rug... keep me posted on the final decision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE this story, such a thoughtful gift! Can't wait to see what rug you end up getting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lucky you! what a super thoughtful guy you have! enjoy your birthday presents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From another Urban Grace faithful--Would love to see what Erika helps you find!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think he's a keeper! I am certainly charmed.
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how adorable! Just read about this on Erika's blog and had to come tell you how incredibly sweet this is. Happy Birthday! Can't wait to see the rug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. anne, your husband's a keeper! but i'm sure you already know that, many times over. happy birthday!! what a great story. good luck finding your rug. and when you look at your new rug, you'll have such wonderful memories of how you acquired it. pam

    ps i soooo loved eating at the whole foods in north atlanta where we used to live!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, what a fantastic husband! very thoughtful, and i'm excited to see which rug Erika finds for your home! happy birthday from a new reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great gift! I'm thinking I too should get my husband to take a look at Erica's blog. :)

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Hold on to that man!! :-)
    Happy Birthday and may all your rug dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hang on to that guy of yours. He's a definite keeper!!! I think your wedding day should be #1 or #2 of the highlights of your life (only because that little guy of yours is adorable). Go ahead, move it up that foodchain just a little! What a thoughtful gift. I know your heart's desire in a rug will be brought to fruition soon! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After your consultation, you have to go down to Green Front Furniture in Farmville. They have buildings full of rugs...if you can't find something there, it doesn't exist!

    Happy Birthday from another Leo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just read about y'all on e's blog and couldn't resist popping over to see the surprise! y'all are adorable. happy (now belated) birhtday Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The blogging world is so funny. I just clicked on your blog from Erika's. While reading your page I saw that your husband (who thinks of great birthday ideas!) goes to school with my sister-in-law. She is in the Dental Class of 2011 at VCU. Such a small world on the internet! Great story and hope you find your rug!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi
    Oh, I just love this story! happy birthday....I just got linked to your blog from Urban Grace's blog. I blog about my daughter every day too and am always interested to see what other people are up to. And I am a designer too, so this gave me a great idea to give out gift certificates for small projects! I am always getting asked for free advice, and your husband was just oh so graceful about not asking for free advice. I would love to see the outcome of your rug design project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this story, so glad Erika shared on her blog! Also happy i'm not the only one sharing design blogs with my husband and spending couch time devouring web sites, magazines, & blogs to find the perfect ---- fill in the blank.

    Happy birthday & rug shopping with the pro!

    Your fellow Richmonder,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have the sweetest, most thoughtful husband..just found your blog! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! That's husband of the year material right there if you ask me!!! Awesome gift!!! Happy Birthday! (found you through Erika's blog)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great gift - you have a keeper, there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually know you in the "real" world, Anne, and I have LOVED sharing this saga of rug lust/contentment/fulfillment/blessing with you! I'm so glad you're my neighbor so I can experience your new rug (and you, too) in person!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It just goes to show that there really are a few good men and pair that with a wonderful wife and then an uber talented designer to assist them with a magic carpet! Sounds like a stellar combo!
    What a fun and thoughtful birthday!
    pve

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my little blog! I love to hear from you.